Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cooking Class

So I am taking a cooking class at a kitchen in Lake Oswego. On the first day of it we practiced knife skills, and it improved dramatically. Many of the things that we made then used those skills. The menu on the first day was

Salsa Fresca and Guacamole with Homemade Tortillas

Thai Veggie Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce and Lime Soy Sauce

Grandma’s Vegetable Soup

Strawberry Shortcake with Buttermilk Biscuits

All of those dishes were really good and they definitely challenged me. I'm not a very big fan of tomatoes, but I still ate the salsa, and it was really good. Unfortunately we couldn't make the guacamole in time and we will do that on Wednesday. The spring rolls were good as well, they were simple to make, and they are good as well, I'll try and make them at home some time. The soup was good. Unfortunately I wasn't involved in all of the steps in it, we all diced veggies and then made one big batch, but it was still good. The strawberry shortcake... FANTASTIC. The biscuits were a lot better than my attempt at them, and we mashed up the strawberries to release some of their juices and added some sugar.

I am really looking forward to doing more classes, and I'll post about the rest of my adventures as the week winds by. There is a link to the class below.

http://www.cookingschoolsofamerica.com/ingoodtaste/index.php?flag_menu_index=basicskillseries_php#649

No comments:

Post a Comment